Increasing VA Disability Rating


Table of Contents

3 Tips for Increasing VA Disability Rating


Are you a Veteran looking to increase your VA disability rating on your claim? The good news is that if medical conditions have worsened, you have the right to request your rating be reviewed and increased. As a Veteran, you have the right to fight for the benefits you deserve, and that means an increasing VA disability rating.

You might be wondering, “How can I get an increase on my disability rating?”

In this article, we’ll tell you 3 tips for getting a higher VA disability rating. 

Before you file an increase for your disability, make sure you are prepared for both the best and worst-case scenarios. Especially when it comes to dealing with the VA. 

There are three actions you can take when requesting an increase in VA disability benefits. You can request compensation for a new disability, file for an increase based on that your previously rated condition has worsened. Additionally, you can appeal the current rating given to you by the VA.

Requesting Compensation for a New Disability 


This is generally done if you were already rated for a condition by the VA or filed before and were denied. 

For example, say you were previously rated for having a knee condition and are currently receiving benefits for it. But then you realize you are also having back problems that may be related to your time in the military. If this is the case, you would just have to file a new disability claim with the VA. 

Remember: you must have evidence to prove the condition is service-related. 

Filing for an Increase to an Existing Disability 


Has your service-connected disability worsened? Unfortunately, there may become a time when it does.  You may start to experience more pain, new symptoms, or find that your current disability is causing other issues as well. 

For this type of increase, you will go through the same process you did when you first filed your VA disability claim. Again, you will need to show medical evidence that your condition has worsened. 

We recommend making an appointment with a private doctor to examine the severity of your disabilities. They are more understandable and take your word as medical evidence. 

Appealing the VA’s Decision


If you feel you were not properly rated by the VA for your disabilities, you can file what’s called a “Notice of Disagreement”. Otherwise known as an appeal. You can file for an appeal if you think your rating is too low or denied a disability.